Thus spake David Marquardt ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
MULTICAST
In general we've extremely pleased with SystemImager
performance. It's always nice to get a little more
though.
We've tried using multicast a couple of times on 3.1.5
(3.15?) and haven't cracked it. We did manage to get a
commercial product to work with multicast but the DHCP
handshaking with our DHCP server and the nodes was so
irratic that we spent so much time rebooting one or
more nodes so they would catch a DHCP connection, that
it more than negated the increased performance of the
multicast.

As a fallback, we've gone to using a large ramdisk on
the server for the image such that there is no (disk
i/o) preformance penalty if it's downloading 16, 32,
64 nodes asynchronously. In otherwords, we can power
up all the machines and they start when their ready.
If a few nodes miss the DHCP the first time, we just
reset those instead of holding up the whole rack or
cluster.

DUAL ETHERNET
Our servers have dual gigabit ports and we have ample
switches that we can use as needed. I was researching
trunking issues on our switches pertaining to
performance.
So, can I make use of both ethernet ports during the
downloading?

Not without significant effort. No support exists in SystemImager to do this -- it would be all hacks on your part.

Can I run two system imagers at the same time?

Yes. You can even have a set of image servers, that are systemimager clients from a master image server. Pull an end client's image to an imageserver ; pull that imageserver's image to the master imageserver ; image your other imageservers from the master imageserver ; image all of your clients from the non-master imageservers.

Cheers, -Brian

(I know this issue is sort of mute if you are using
multicast which is why I explained our multicast issue
first.)
Thanks.
David