From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Jan Groenewald
Sent: Mon 15/08/2005 02:43
To: sisuite-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Sisuite-users] systemconfigurator --runboot fails (chroot does not see /dev/hda)

Hi

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 04:23:56PM +0200, Jan Groenewald wrote:
> >    Edit your image's /etc/systemimager/autoinstallscript.conf, i.e.
> >    ..<image>/etc/systemimager/autoinstallscript.conf
> >    on your imageserver:
> >    - add <boel devstyle="devfs" /> right before </config> (udev =/= devfs,
> >    but they are treated similarly here)
> >    - mkautoinstallscript --image <image> --force --post-install reboot
> >    - re-image the node
> I'll go and try it tomorrow, and get back to you.
Nope, it still does not see /dev/hda. (strangely, after shellout,
instead of reboot, I also don't see /dev/hda, though the image has just
been succesfully copied over).

You said there were some other things to try?

I am trying a parallel method below, which is not to solve the udev
problem, but rather use the master script to dd the MBR in, to fix the
device.map, etc.

> grub.conf? Or menu.1st?
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/etc # locate grub.conf (my golden image; yes, using grub)
> /usr/share/kernel-package/kpkg_grub.conf
I am reading up on whether there is a problem having root and boot
separate (as I do). And finding out what grub.conf can do for me.

> (grub sees kernel and initrd.img)
> boot
> Uncompressing Linux, ok booting the kernel...
> audit(123412345124.2341324 something like that) initializing
> Starting Ubuntu...
> /sbin/init: 426: cannot create /dev/null : Read-only file system
> /sbin/init: 427: cannot open dev/console : no such file
> Kernel panic: not syncing. Attempted to kill init!
Now, going further, If I edit the grub command line I can boot but
not mount root. This might be /root and /boot separate?

So I could copy /boot over into /root, and then not mount /boot, and
delete the /boot partition, and enlarge /root over it, right. I'll see
if this makes a difference.

cheers,
Jan
--