From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of John Jolet
Sent: Mon 29/08/2005 18:56
To: sisuite-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Sisuite-users] 64-bit imaging

I've been trying for two weeks to set up a 64-bit gentoo imager server.  I ran
into tremendous problems compiling the software, so set up a 32-bit server,
using the same 64-bit hardware.  That server compiled everything, and I
grabbed a 64-bit image.  Trying to get that image from another server (all of
these are identical amd 3000+ servers), I used the "use your own kernel" perl
script to generate the kernel (as I needed the tg3 nic drivers and nvidia
sata raid drivers).  everything boots fine (using pxe with dhcp to boot), the
kernel loads and then the rc.S script starts and scrolls repeatedly that /tmp
is a read-only file system.  eventually, I get to the busybox prompt.
Nothing seems mounted at all.  not even /proc.  I saw this same message on
the list archives, but also it seems I won't be able to install a 64-bit
image FROM a 32-bit image server (using the 32-bit kernel running on that
server).  Is this the case?  If so, how can I get systemimager to compile
under 64-bit gentoo?  Tomorrow, I can send the errors I'm getting compiling,
but I need to know if it's even possible?

--
John Jolet
Your On-Demand IT Department