Bas van der Vlies wrote:
> On 04-08-10 21:57, Patrick Nolan wrote:
>> Tristam MacDonald wrote:
>>> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Patrick Nolan
>>> <patrick.no...@stanford.edu<mailto:patrick.no...@stanford.edu>>  wrote:
>>>
>>>      I tried capturing the boot messages by echoing them out a serial port.
>>>      (The AMI BIOS allows that.)  It works up to a point, but the output
>>>      quits when the kernel boots.
>>>

>>> Did you also tell your *kernel* to output over the console? If my memory
>>> serves correctly, you need to add something like console=ttyS0,57600 to
>>> the APPEND line in your pxelinux.cfg/<whatever>.
>>>
>> Aha!  That did the trick.  I'm constantly learning new things.
>>
>> Now I can get down to debugging.  The relevant messages are below.
>> This appears to confirm my suspicion that the kernel doesn't have the
>> necessary ethernet driver (igb for Intel 82576 controller) in place.
>> Is it necessary to compile a custom kernel, or can this be done by
>> configuration?  If the latter, is it an OSCAR configuration or a System
>> Imager configuration?
>>

> You can try the kernel/initrd from https://subtrac.sara.nl/oss/sali. It
> should support the old systemimager scripts. igb is supported by  this setup.

Thanks.  It looks interesting.  Unfortunately the web page says that it
needs a kernel version 2.6.27 or higher.  I'm working with Centos 5,
which uses 2.6.18.  I'm not prepared to deal with the problems of a
custom kernel.

Anyway, I finally got up the courage to try the OSCAR UYOK (Use Your
Own Kernel) option.  It's not as hard as I thought.  It solves the
BOEL network device driver problem, but leads to a new set of problems.
I'll deal with that in a separate message, coming shortly.