Like a rolling ode: academic conference weighs up Bob Dylan's poetic licence

                                by Steven Morris, guardian.co.uk
May 24th 2011 Twenty-year-old Natasha Tabani had queued for three hours to make sure of her place in lecture theatre three of Bristol University's English department.

She wasn't displaying such keenness at the prospect of a fine exposition of a Shakespeare play or an inspiring talk on the Victorian novelists that might help improve her next English literature essay. This event was all about a gnarled singer-songwriter who had reached his 70th birthday.

"I just love Bob Dylan. I've come hoping to learn more about him. I want to be able to get more out of his words and music, to compare my idea of him with other people's," said Tabani. Her favourite Dylan song, Visions of Johanna, appeared on Blonde on Blonde a quarter of a century before she was born. "What he sang then still sounds as relevant now to me. That song is almost eight minutes long but it never seems enough. It's just beautiful."

The Seven Ages of Dylan, as the conference was called, was an attempt to bring together Britain's most eminent scholars on the music star who was born Robert Allen Zimmerman in Duluth, Minnesota, on 24 May 1941.

As the delegates (mostly, to be fair, middle-aged music fans in soft shoes rather than youthful students like Tabini) packed into the underground lecture at Bristol, devotees around the world were celebrating Dylan's three-score-and-10. In Shillong, in north-east India, for example, fans flocked to gigs organised by Lou Majaw (often dubbed the country's Dylan). He, perhaps optimistically, called for the state government to declare 24 May Bob Dylan Day. Thousands of other "Bobcats" gathered in Lahore, Nepal, Moscow, Brazil, Melbourne and Cape Town.

In the mining town of Hibbing in Minnesota, where he was raised, organisers were putting the finishing touches to their annual festival, Dylan Days. New for 2011, is "an authentic rock 'n' roll hop" featuring music popular at the time Dylan graduated from Hibbing high school in 1959, and the first "Dylan Days symposium" will reunite members of Dylan's school band, The Golden Chords, for a discussion.

Back in Bristol, one of the first thorny subjects to be tackled was whether Dylan could really be considered a fine poet.Danny Karlin, Winterstoke professor of English at Bristol and a leading expert on Robert Browning, argued he could not. If his words were published as poems rather than songs, "nobody would have taken a blind bit of notice", Karlin claimed. He said Dylan should be viewed as a bard whose work needed to be heard rather than read.

Nevertheless, some speakers analysed particular Dylan songs as they would have done a Browning poem. Dressed all in black, Aidan Day, professor of English at Dundee, examined Man in the Long Black Coat and compared the central character with Satan in William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell.

David Punter, a professor of English at Bristol, spoke on Visions of Johanna and Mr Tambourine Man, admitting at one point: "I feel an idiot reading out Dylan."

The talk continued outside over lunch and tea. Coco Creme, 20, admitted she was here partly to find out why her parents made so much fuss over Dylan. "He was always playing in the background when I grew up. I want to find out why,"

Stephen Jordan, of the faculty of music at Oxford University, tried to explain, saying he believed Dylan's music had provided the soundtrack to everything from the Cuban missile crisis to the New Orleans floods. "There are maybe 60 people sitting around here. Probably there are 60 different visions of every Dylan song and all of them valid. He is part of our lives, our culture," he said.

Original Page: http://www.guardian.co.uk//music/2011/may/24/bob-dylan-birthday-conference-br istol/print?mobile-redirect=false

Shared from Read It Later