To my taste this is worse, because it breaks the direct filiation,
which means "type=simple" isn't really true anymore. Good on systemd to
accept a different MAINPID even with type=simple, but having the daemon
run as a grandchild of the supervisor when it doesn't have to feels
more hackish than accepting a notification from another process.

 Honestly, I'd rather document in the source that the NotifyAccess option
should be changed. The default seems very unnecessarily restrictive.

 Nyeh. The pid doesn't matter here because the supervisor is pid 1 so
it will get a SIGCHLD anyway if the intermediary process is dead. Still,
I feel like it's cleaner to have the long-running process have the same
pid as the ExecStart=, the same way you'd keep the same pid as ./run
under s6. NotifyAccess= sounds like it's configurable precisely to allow
shenanigans like sdnotify-wrapper, so I don't see a reason not to use it.

--
 Laurent