On Sun, 2010-08-22 at 14:04 +0200, Arnold wrote:

> On 08/22/2010 03:54 AM, C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP wrote:
> >> What I did,... and what should be even a better prove that the key
> >> belongs to the owner of the server is:
> >>
> >> I've added a file at:
> >> http://scientia.net/adams-collier.keyinfo
> >> which contains the fingerprint + my name.
> > No.  And I advise all others to avoid peering with you until you can
> > prove that you own the private key that will be associated with the
> > keyserver.
>
> Why?

Because none of the information provided indicates in any way that the
private key corresponding with the public key provided is under Chris'
control.

> Keys and certificates identify persons, not ownership of a server. Whether
> or not you trust the signers of the key or certificate is up to you.
>
> For the server, all he can do is prove he has sufficient access rights
> (which he offered and is also inherent to modifying the membership file). Or
> you can contact the domain owner offline (using WHOIS information).
>
> But then, why won't you peer with an anonymously operated server? In some
> countries that might be necessary. After all, each public key a key server
> provides, should initially be regarded as 'untrusted'.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=19.34&full=true#19.34.400

(1) The secretary must recognize one or more repositories, after finding
that a repository to be recognized:
(d) Contains no significant amount of information that is known or
likely to be untrue, inaccurate, or not reasonably reliable;

I interpret this to mean that I need to perform some amount of identity
verification of the operator of each keyserver with which I peer.

> The only thing I'm interested in is if the server is operated by a
> sufficiently skilled administrator. Something certificates won't tell.
>

> > http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=19.34.210
>
> This is a national law / ruling applicable to just one country. It is
> useless in the rest of the world (ref. art. 3a, for example) and not
> applicable to PGP-keys, as they are not depending on a certification
> authority to be valid for the user.

All of this is correct.  However, the advice is generally applicable to
signing- and trust-related activities.

> Arnold

Cheers,

C.J.