On Jul 2, 2012, at 7:37 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:

> This is rarely necessary and should be done only when the
>         default configuration selects the wrong mutex implementation.
Is Gentoo3 or Gentoo4 selecting the wrong mutex implementation?

The deep underlying reason for using pthread_mutex is
        Do multi-thread and multi-process locks use the same mechanism?
The pthread_mutex implementation using futexes is likely intrinsically faster,
and pthread_mutexes unify interprocess and inter-thread locks in the same
mechanism.

Statically library linking in a multlib environment has some tricky build
prerequsites to find pthread_mutex() in an arch-specific static library
on a multlib peculiar path. Add the build prereqa, not change the mutex
implementation, is the better solution imho.

The --enable=o_direct should likely not be used on linux too:
        http://kerneltrap.org/node/7563

I've personally tried O_DIRECT with no improvement tuning bdb in rpm.

But they are all build options to use however one wishes: but the criteria
to decide what options to use are rather murky.

Here is what I have used for years (including RHL/RHEL3/RHEL4 Berkeley DB)
can be found in many dbXY.spec files is mostly similar to what you used:

        %configure -C --srcdir=../dist/ \
                --includedir='${prefix}/include/%{name}' \
                --program-transform-name=s,^db,%{name}, \
                --enable-compat185 --enable-dump185 \
                --enable-shared --enable-static \
                --enable-cxx \
                --enable-sql \
                --enable-sql_codegen \
                --enable-stl \
%ifarch %{java_arches}
                --enable-java \
%else
                --disable-java \
%endif
                # --enable-jdbc \
                # --with-cryptography=yes \
                # --with-stacksize=SIZE \
                # --with-uniquename=SUFFIX \
                # --with-pic \
                # --with-gnu-ld \
                # --enable-jdbc --with-jdbc=DIR \
                # --enable-perfmon-statistics \
                # --enable-dtrace \
                # --enable-systemtap \
                # --enable-umrw \
                # --enable-test \
                # --enable-debug --enable-debug_rop --enable-debug_wop \
                # --enable-diagnostic \

DIsclaimer:
        They are all build options to use however one wishes: but the criteria
        to decide what options to use is rather murky. YMMV, everyone's does.

hth

73 de Jeff