On Aug 1, 2012, at 1:29 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> On 08/01/2012 01:12 PM, David Shaw wrote:
>> My point is that if you expect GPG to be able to fix a broken key, you need
>> to pass back all the data, or GPG has nothing to work from.
>
> well, you could expect the GPG of the original uploader to fix the
> broken key before uploading it.  Then the keyservers wouldn't have to
> store and return obviously-incorrect data.

It's an interesting question, as we don't really know how this corruption
happened in the first place.  We can't presume that the original uploader
necessarily uploaded a corrupt key.  Especially if the original uploader is the
person who generated the key, it's rather hard to imagine the key was corrupt
before it was uploaded.

David