On (22:41 25/05/10), Patrick Volkerdink <volke...@slackware.com> put forth the
proposition:
On 05/25/2010 10:30 PM, Robby Workman wrote:
Anyway, since there seems to be some desire for a definitive
statement on this, I'm going to make one:

There are no plans to change the default package compression at
any point in the near future.  The reasons include, but are not
necessarily limited to, the following:

1. We like it that way.  :-)

2. It works fine as is.

3. It minimizes the time required to build a package.

4. It's easy to customize if the admin prefers something else.

5. There's no compelling reason to change it.

6.  We like it that way.  :-)

I don't really see any need to change. I set PKGTYPE and ARCH up in
shell long ago.

I'd have to agree. For local package builds, a .tgz default makes sense. But if you happen to be running out of space for packages on a CD, then you can switch to .txz easily enough. :-D

Take care,

Pat

Don't look back, the lemmings are gaining on you.