David Spencer wrote:
Greetings SlackPeople, may I ask your advice?

I'm doing a SlackBuild for Luminance HDR.  Its compiler flags assume
that SSE2 instructions are available.  That's a bad assumption, but
it's easy to make it configurable with a variable SSE2=yes|no and a
note in the README.

So, here's my question.  Should the SlackBuild's default be SSE2=yes,
or SSE2=no?  There are three obvious choices.

(1) The default should match upstream's assumption => SSE2=yes

(2) The default should work on any processor => SSE2=no

(3) Determine the default from the ARCH => if x86_64 then SSE2=yes else SSE2=no

Any thoughts?  I'm guessing everyone hates (3) :-)

I prefer (3) but I think it's not preferable by the admins since there is only:
i486
i686
x86_64

on the slackbuild template.

I think the i786 also have SSE2 commands but it is absent in the Slackbuild
template.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I786
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2

Can this software work with acceptable speed in old processors without SSE2?
(i686)
--
Michales Michaloudes
Thessaloniki