There is likely an issue here:

VERSION=${VERSION:-2.4-src}

/sbin/makepkg -l y -c n $OUTPUT/$PRGNAM-$VERSION-$ARCH-$BUILD$TAG.${PKGTYPE:-tgz}

Willy is quite correct regarding the "-src" bit; the pkgtools reverse the long package name then count the dashes backwards, so that dash before "src" makes the version "src" and the package name "golly--2.4". which brings us to the second issue - you are setting VERSION=-2.4 and then running makepkg with "$PRGNAM-$VERSION" - meaning you have two dashes.

Oh, great ... I'm looking forward to working on this when I get home!

Thanks,

/G