On 17/05/17 16:31, Franzen wrote:
On 17.05.2017 16:18, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
I have been chasing this issue on-and-off for months, and spent a lot of
time the last few days on it. I run several Slackware servers with
Spamassassin on them, and I  noticed a while ago that some don't use DNS
blocklists.

Maybe your are using the providers nameserver, beside a lot others, so the providers nameserver itself may be blacklistet because of too much reqeuests, and therfore gets no(or only sometimes) answers from the dns blackalist severs. This also happens if you are using google's dns 8.8.8.8

Sorry, I should have mentioned it in the original post. I am running Bind locally in caching/recursive mode. Also, if that would have been the problem, the queries get flagged as blocked by SpamAssassin in the message report - so it is quite soon obvious what is going on. I've had this in the past, before configuring Bind. What I am describing is a silent issue - no errors, no messages about queries being blocked. And that is why it took me a while to realise it was a problem, because if there is no mention in the spam report of dns rbl's - the assumption would be that the dns queries returned nothing - not that they are not working altogether. Only by passing the same known spam message through SpamAssassin on different servers did I realise that the dns rbl's weren't functional.