I think this has been raised here before, but it seems that the current rc.monit file still kills the Monit daemon when doing:

/etc/rc.d/rc.monit restart

The solution seems to be to have a 3 second sleep between stop and start statements.

And while we are at it, Monit seems to be hardwired to use /etc/monitrc config file, instead of /etc/monit.conf. So although it is possible to start it with:

monit -c /etc/monit.conf

the config file will have to be passed on the command line every time when doing "monit status" - otherwise it doesn't work. Would it be possible to have the default config file at /etc/monitrc, so that "monit status" just works? I think /etc/monit.conf looks better, but it is a pain to type the location of the config file every time you want to get the status of the daemon.