Inexplicably, the gd package was not installed on my system.

slackpkg install gd

... solved everything. Package built and tested OK.

slackpkg install-new turned up an additional four (unrelated, I think) packages that didn't make it from the DVD onto my system. All l10n localization packages. A separate mystery, I think.

thanks!
Judah