this is used here and has worked fine for a long time: REPO=https://gitlab.com/SlackBuilds.org/slackbuilds.git
This setting is better for Slackware 15.0.

REPO=rsync://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/15.0/

Sbotools uses 'rsync://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/$VERSION/' by default for Slackware releases.  This way it points to slackbuilds.org directly and it locks the slackbuilds version to your Slackware release.

What went wrong before is sbotools has not updated since the 15.0 release to include it.