I have a "batch indexer" that I'm currently using to update an external
search engine. Both the "batch indexer" and a custom IndexTrigger add
indexing events to a queue which is then processed by a separate thread.

I haven't had a chance to look at the Lucene code yet, but what I've got
is written using the Spring framework so it should be easy extend. One
class is all that's necessary, I think (the separate thread that updates
the index).

Let me know if anyone's interested.

-James