In the "proposals" section of the jakarta-slide module in CVS you'll
find a TODO for the caldav implementation. At this point all I've done
is the todo and some reworking of Slide's internals to make it easier to
extend.

I've had discussions with a couple people off-list who are interested in
working on this, but I don't know that anyone has started on anything.
The best place to start is probably fleshing out the TODO and then
tackling one of the tasks.

For the iCal functionality Nate Custer sent me a link to
http://ical4j.sourceforge.net/ which looks promising. I don't know if it
has all the features necessary for CalDAV, but the license looks like it
should be ASF compatible.

-James