As a potential user I'm glad to see this topic brought up. As a potential user let me briefly outline some of the ideas I have had or seen that I am interested in. I like the idea of standards (at least when they don't get in the way of getting actual work done); hence I find WebDAV a very interesting idea for remote CRM; however now that the JCR-170 is "out" I'd love it (and it would make my boss so happy...) if there was a robust WebDAV implementation on top of a JCR-170 "core". While it's got to be a fairly radical change in the code base, I'd personally love to see Slide become more of a wrapper / user of the JCR-170 spec / Jackrabbit (as the default core - I wouldn't be very worried about actually ever switching to a different implementation); Slide could then be about value-added, mainly in the WebDAV and associated areas. A little diagram:
                             Server 'Package'
+++++++++                 +++++++++------------------++++++++++
+ WebDAV +                +Slide  +  -- Integration + JCR-170 +
+ client +  -- WebDAV --  +Server + - w/ JCR-170  --+ Content +
+ (Slide)+                +       +                 +  Repo.  +
                                                       + Adapter      +
                                                       + for Slide 2  +
                                                       + stores       +

One other item I've seen brought up which caught my attention: Subversion compatibility. It seems to me that while working with the Subversion dev team would be "nice", a easier approach to allowing the use of Subversion clients against a Slide web-app would be to "map" the subversion specific commands to a "pure" set of WebDAV (or jcr-170), which could be a plugin or other type of setting for Slide.
--
   Robert r. Sanders
   Chief Technologist