As Ray has noted Slide keeps track of transactions by creating a lock for them.

Separately to this the transaction management implementation (which does the
real work of keeping track of updates during a transaction and then committing
them) must also keep some transaction related information around to manage the
transaction lifecycle. From what I have seen of Slide's behaviour the
transaction related information for the transactional file stores is stored in
the "work" directory defined for the file store. When Slide crashes and is
restarted the transaction manager uses the contents of the work directory to
rollback the updates for transactions that weren't successfully completed. Of
course this is only for transactional file stores as RDBMS stores store this
transaction related information in the DB in transaction logs.

For more information I would try the Jakarta Commons Transaction project as
it's the commons transaction implementation that underlies the transactional
file stores. I believe Oliver Zeigermann integrated the commons transaction
layer into Slide and though he is no longer an active committer on Slide he is
still active on the commons transaction project.

Warwick