From: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Martin Holz
Sent: 18. juni 2003 10:06
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Version control and performance

Hi,

has anybody experience in versioning and a large number of documents
(10,000 to 100,000)? I did  a VERSION call on 8000 documents. The first
calls where fast, but this last took almost 1 minute (3 GHz Pentium,
plenty of free memory, JDBCDescriptorsStore with Postgres). While I did
not yet dive into the code, it seems to be obvious, where the bottleneck is.

All version history resources are stored as children of the same
node '/history'.  So every time a new version history is created,
there is a call to DescriptorsStore.storeObject for the  node /history.
However this node grows linear with the number of version histories.
So does the time to store it.

For the JDBCDescriptorsStore this means deleting N-1 rows from
the table children and inserting N rows, if the Nth version
history is created.

Without looking into details, I think, the answer would be to
change the URIs of history from a linear to something tree like.

E.g /history/1234   =>  /history/1/2/4/h4.

Is somebody working on this problem? Some pointers, where to start?

-- Martin Holz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Softwareentwicklung / Vernetztes Studium - Chemie
FIZ CHEMIE Berlin
Franklinstrasse 11
D-10587 Berlin