What is best way/resource to get to break into this type of programming?

I am a total newbie to this, and would like to know how to do the whole
authentication/authorization thing using Apache/Slide and WebDav.
Specifically,
I've already got users and groups defined in an Oracle database, and would
like
to use this information to manage access to files under WebDav.

This gets into the details of the applications that reside at application
server/web server?
I'm assuming that the webdav applications reside in the web server and are not
like cgi scripts that are explicitly called from a get or post.  Please
verify,
and forgive
my newbieness.

Thanks,
Charlie ;)

>>> jl 5/10/2004 12:37:05 AM >>>
Hi Jeff!

The WebDAV protocol does not contain any support for creating users. However
Slide does have a way of solving this - if you use mkcol in you users
collection, slide will automatically add DAV:principal element to the
DAV:resourcetype property!

Adding users to groups can be done using proppatch to set content of
DAV:group-member-set.

If you want to be these user to handle passwords too, the you have to user
the SlideRealm in you tomcat server.xml

/jacob