Oliver Zeigermann wrote:

... now that I am at it ... looking at how content is stored ...

What are the limitation of the "bytea" field? Anything better available?

The other alternative with PostgreSQL is the legacy large object interface. But it has a different programming model that will require changes in the adapter class. The advantage is that it supports up to 2GB whereas bytea can only currently handle 1GB. However, large objects are considered obsolete, so BYTEA is the right choice at the moment. If there's a need for larger files, it's likely that PostgreSQL developers enhance BYTEA or add another compatible BLOB type.

Carlos

Oliver

Carlos Villegas wrote:

Oliver Zeigermann wrote:

... and by the way ... also quoting from the link concerning performance of char, varchar and text

Tip: There are no performance differences between these three types, apart from the increased storage size when using the blank-padded type.

Why not simply replace all varchar types by text and be fine forever?

Carlos? What do you say? Other Postgres experts?

I agree. I usually use TEXT and don't bother about limits on the database side. Just like in this case, very often you exceed your limits and have to change the schema.

Cheers,

Oliver

Carlos Villegas wrote:

Oliver Zeigermann wrote:

This was fixed for *MySQL* only, *Postgres* still needs the fix. Simple solution would be to increase the maximum size of the property. Maybe there is something similar to "text" in MySQL in Postgres as well?

Yes, "TEXT" is supported in PostgreSQL:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/datatype-character.html

Carlos