Hello everybody,

When I was searching for a Java class to extract text from PowerPoint files, I accidentally discovered Slide.

I pulled the MSPowerPointExtractor class and some other stuff it depends on via CVS and tried it for some text extraction.

The method I used looks very similar to the provided example main method (see below).

However. when I tried to extract text from a German PowerPoint presentation, I had some problems with the encoding. I did not know which encoding to use, converting the output to ISO Latin 1 with my text editor solved only part of the problem (some German Umlaute were displayed correctly, some were not).

Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong? Any hints for me?

Thanks in advance.

Ralph Scheuer

BTW. I am using Mac OS X 10.3.4 with JDK 1.4.2_03, the native encoding on this platform is MacRoman.

public static String contentStringForData(NSData data){ StringBuffer buf = new StringBuffer(); try{ ByteArrayInputStream input = data.stream(); MSPowerPointExtractor ex = new MSPowerPointExtractor(null, null); Reader reader = ex.extract(input); int c; do { c = reader.read(); buf.append((char)c); } while( c != -1 ); }catch(Exception e){ } return buf.toString(); }