You give no information which URL you try to connect to. Perhaps Slide
is not running or configured correctly.

as i laid out in my own reply, both slide instances (at isp and internal) are running on a tomcat under context "/slide". i can reach both slide-installations with the browser by connecting to "http://[ip]:8080/slide"; but i need to connect to them differently out of my java-app that uses jakarta http-client and slide client-api:

on my internal tomcat 5 i have to create a httpurl with the following parameters
1. string user
2. string pwd
3. string host
4. int port
5. string path (root "/" or no path parameter at all)

on the tomcat 4 at the isp the connection fails like this. however, it succeeds when i do the connection like this:
1. user
2. pwd
3. host
4. port
5. path (/slide)

to keep things confusing, the second kind of connection fails on my internal tomcat 5! on both tomcats is the empty context-path the standard-tomcat-page.

therefore in my head rises the question if my internal tomcat5 has another webdav-server (tomcat-own?) installed that enables the connection without path???

Did you try the same address with another WebDAV client like cadaver
or DAVExplorer?

not yet, but i will try this with goliath on mac os x

greetings stefan