Our app has been opened to standard WebDAV clients from the beginning.
Actually, the main idea was to allow users to do simple operations
(copy/paste/delete) just like they do them when they work with an ordinary
file server. And more complicated actions are available at our front-end.

> I don't know how slide's locking will behave with clustered caching.
> There could be timing issues between client's trying to acquire the
> same lock.

BTW, I wonder if any attempts have been made to make Slide itself
"clusterable". The only problem here is the cache, right?

> > > the cluster. The Slide cluster shares a single content
> filesystem so
> > > that files are kept consistent between the members. I don't know
> > > whether you can take advantage of clustered slide servers
> from the
> > > slide api if it isn't a remote client api.
> >
> > If all Slides share the same storage any application that uses Side
> > api uses this storage as well. Doesn't solve the caching problem
> > though.
>
> The slide servers may share the content store but the slide api isn't
> a remote api, and so if the slide server it is talking to fails it
> can't failover to another server in the cluster. With the WebDAV
> client it is a remote client and so it can failover to another server
> in the cluster.

I tried to say that if Slide and some other web application that uses Side
api and runs inside the same App Server were both inherently "clusterable"
then one could use standard clustering capabilities of some App Server -
Tomcat, for example.
Well, Slide is not "clusterable" so it's not an option for the time being.
:-)

> Scalability and failover is the big benefit that comes with the DAV
> client right now. I just wanted to be sure you knew this when making
> any future decisions for your app.

I see and thanks a lot - you've enlightened me on many things. :-)

Yours sincerely,
Andrey.