From: Warwick Burrows [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 10:20 AM
To: 'Slide Users Mailing List'
Subject: RE: Adding a non-inheritable permission to a folder using webdav
clie nt lib not working

Guys,

There was another email thread like this recently regarding a users need to
have the read bit on a folder to navigate through it to get to children. I
worked on an authorization product at one time and our solution was to
define another permission called "traverse" that would permit a user to
traverse through a collection but not be able to list or read the contents
of that collection. Incidentally, we also defined a "list" permission that a
user would need to actually list the contents of a particular collection -
though this was mainly for GUI purposes when traversing a visual tree by
clicking. I was surprised that the DAV acl spec doesn't define a traverse
permission as it is exactly what's needed to permit a user to traverse to a
certain point in the tree without being able to see any of the files in the
collections upstream.

Anyway, I realize that this doesn't help to solve your problem right now,
but my question is whether its the right answer for the DAV acl spec in
general. Would it be worth proposing this to the DAV acl spec group so that
we can make DAV access control more flexible and more useful in the future?

Warwick