I have been working with the Webdav Client using the org.apache.webdav.lib.methods package directly to get the XML response from the slide server. I am using the XML results with XSLT to build web interfaces and reports.

I noticed that the WebdavResource class seems to be the powerhouse of the client API, however, it does not seem to provide a way to extract the XML responses in any easy way. The best I have seen is a piece of code that walks through the nodelists to merely output the same XML that came from the server originally. This seems to be odd when the XML is available from most methods is available with getResponseDocument().

As a result, I was thinking of attempting to make the XML result available in the WebdavResource class for easy access to those needing the DOM representation of the result. My idea would be to store it as a w3c.dom variable in the class that would get set to something other than a default when a method was called that returns an XML response. This should also be useful for extracting error messages after methods are executed.

I would appreciate ideas/opinions from others who may find this useful, or in some way problematic.

Tim