Hello Nick,

 Actually, if you have authentication activated, tomcat (and slide) always
expects you to be authenticated. If your're not, the server and client
negotiate with witch other for authentication. More or less this is what
happens:

1) client: gimme this file
2) server: you are not authorized, you must authenticate using this
encryption algorithm using credentials of this realm
3) authenticated client: ok, now I'm this guy, gimme this file
4) server: ok, your credentials are confirmed, here is what you've requested

What is happening when a client is always requested for credentials? A clear
symptom is that the http application in the client side is not very smart,
because it's always discarding the credentials introduced in previous
negotiations.

So a quick answer is: slide and tomcat always need someone to be
authenticated before interaction can occur, so you don't have a problem
there; what you probably need to satisfy that requisite is a dumb http
application in the client side.

Hope this helps,
Miguel Figueiredo