I don't think that jsr170 supports all the features that are required by
WebDAV.
The Slide core has some nice features that can't be found in the jackrabbit
core up to now. So my personal favourite would be to build a java api that
reflects the WebDAV protocols in a simpler and local/remote neutral way as
it is described in the Slide 3.0 design approach in the wiki ;-)

Daniel