Maybe it has to do with Slide object cache. When you start Tomcat, does the first client that connects sees this slow reponse time?
Slide needs to load the objects from the store to process anything, of course, but they are cached. Subsequent operations are faster, specially searches which basically touch every object in the store (unless especial DASL indexing is used). I don't know but maybe the whole cache is being flushed when it gets full or something similar.

Carlos

J H wrote:
I just sent a different response on my performance enhancements to date, but I'm still stuck on
one thing....

Thanks in advance for any input!

After we do PROPFINDS or SEARCHES for about 5 minutes with around 16-20 clients our system becomes very unresponsive for around 30 seconds to a minute. The responses normally come back in about 1 seconds or less and the response time does not DEGRADE until we see the first slow down. Tomcat seems to 'recover' from this slow down, but it's very annoying to teach my users that sometimes a query screen will show up in a second and other times they may have to wait until up to a minute!! After it returns from a minute response time, responses go back to normal.

I have done about all the diagnostics I can think of....

MSSQL Server (2 CPU System) never goes above 50%
The Tomcat 4.1.27 Process (on a 4 cpu system) uses up to 100% of all processors in slow periods and only about 75% maximum during the normal quick state.
We are using IIS to parse and send XMLHttp Requests, but this doesn't seem to be the problem (DLLHOST.exe isn't using much cpu power).
Using the java tags -Server -Xmx1380M -Xms1380M
We have created clustered indexes on the appropriate tables.
I have reviewed the Garbage collection and it says that the maximum time it ever spends doing garbage collection is 1/2 second, with a total of 14 seconds over a 3 minute span. One thing odd is that it says it's collecting over 40GB!! of data.

Any Advice or Hints would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Jeff