Thanks for the excellent reply.

I am struggling to understand the code and the philosophy behind the code so that I may use slide effectively, and integrate it into Liferay Portal.

I understand the first paragraph, and tnaks for explaining the Role Authorisation philosophy especially the part about the compliancy to WebDAV ACL spec ( which of course I have not read, which I should do really ).

I dont really understand the second part, and this is the most critical for me.

I believe that as you say I am authenticating ok, and I think you are confirming my belief that its just the ACL part that does not work.

Did you have a look at my second post about

auto-create-users

I had a closer look at the code, and from what I could see, if i set this and the role correctly in the Domain.xml, then when I try to do a .getPrincipal the user will be auto created with the default role.

Is that what you are alluding to when you say the 'slide repository', or do I
need to do something else.

Thanks for your help.

Paul.

James Mason wrote:

Slide needs to be able to enumerate all of the available roles in order
to be WebDAV compliant. JAAS integration works great for
*authentication*, but when it comes to authorization Slide uses other
methods for discovering role memberships. If you want to provide your
own Security implementation that uses JAAS for roles as well it
shouldn't be too hard, but your implementation would not be compliant
with WebDAV ACL specification (probably not that big of a deal for your
application).

If you configure your Slide repository so that the "authenticated"
principal has inherited read permissions to the root node everything
should work fine (with auto-create-users turned on).

-James