We had similar problem with MS Office applications.
When you save from Ms office app, it create file with 0 content and then it set the content in the next separate request.
You're right, only workaround really help here.

John Rousseau wrote:
I'll answer my own question in the hope of helping someone else.

Some clients (like Nautilus and WinXP in certain cases) send a PUT with no body (Content-Length: 0) initially and then a subsequent PUT with the real contents (and a real Content-Length). Seeing that we have a WebDAV frontend on our "fixed content" archive, changing an existing file is expensive and sometimes impossible.

The answer is basically that some clients behave this way and you have to deal with it. We are implementing a mechanism where I can open the file on one request and populate/close it on a subsequent request.

-John

John Rousseau wrote:

I'm seeing a strange problem from some WebDAV clients where a PUT is done twice.

I'm running slide HEAD from ~March 15. WCK. Java 1.4.2_06.

If I use the slide webdavclient, or IE and tell it to "Open as Web Folder", everything works fine.

If I use Nautilus on Fedora core 3 or if a "net use * \\host" on WinXP, and try to copy a file into the server, the client does an initial PUT with a 0 Content-Length, gets a 201 back and then does another PUT with the real content length and a body, which we 500 with because the resource already exists.

I've attached the call sequence in my BasicWebdavStore impl as call-trace.txt. Also, any idea why so many repeated calls to isFolder() and objectExists()?

Also in the tarball are request and response, which are the tcp tunnel traces of the conversation.

Am I (or is slide) returning something wrong that is confusing the clients? Can others talk from Nautilus or WinXP's "Web Client Network" to a slide server?

Thanks for any help, I'm really stuck.
-John