Sorry to followup on myself...
I seem to have found a workaround to the loading problem. I'm now not using the JAASLoginModule for authentication. Instead, I just configure its properties when my adapter is loaded, so that it hands out connections made by my session manager.
This works, but... Not how I had hoped. My session manager is being called, but it gets called for *every request*. I had hoped that it would be called once, then to use that connection for several calls to my adapter, and a call to closeAuthenticationSession() when the client (Windows 2000 Explorer) disconnects.
I guess I could use the supplied connection pool, but my adapter holds a lot of state (it represents a virtual file system), so I'd like to have it reused for subsequent requests, but no longer than necessary. Also, this would be little better than dropping the whole session manager, maintaining a map of sessions and just timing them out myself - an approach I've been trying to avoid.
Any thoughts?
Michiel