Tim Williams wrote:
I eventually want a Forrest site that is contained in Slide that has a
workflow engine built on top.  It seems that plugging Forrest and
Slide wouldn't be that difficult but I also want it to follow some
sort of workflow which neither has built in.

Workflow means a lot of different things to different people, could you specify a bit more what you mean?

Have
I overlooked something or is this just something that's generally not
needed or expected that a CMS would have to build on top of the
repository?

At my day-job company we have a CMS using Slide as repository impl and Cocoon as presentation engine. This particular CMS uses Cocoon Flow-script for the controller logic and the workflow processing is mostly implemented in Cocoon Flow (with some sanity checks in the Java Repository integration code on top of Slide).

Workflow state tracking is done by a specific property on each
Slide node (with predetermined constant values for each state).

For more advanced workflow processing, eg with some sort of description language and processing engine, I think you sould try to find and existing implementation from the bussiness process workflow side of things (rather than CMS/publishing).

There are many XML-standards for process descriptions and
advanced engines to handle them. A quick google led to:
 http://web.openwfe.org/display/openwfe/Home

Regards,
 Martin