We had this problem and we redesigned our Slide dependent application to use lazy initialization. In other words, the application only loaded Slide dependent code once the first request was made. This probably means you only
have to turn pre-initialization of your servlets off in your web.xml.

Making your application work this way allows all of your applications to initialize themselves in any order before trying to access
each other via requests.

As far as I know, there's no way to enforce initialization order of web applications in Tomcat, but I didn't try too hard as I knew that
the above solution would work for me.

Christopher Farnham
Senior Consultant at Wrycan, Inc.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.wrycan.com

Dan Tenenbaum wrote:

This might be a better question for the tomcat list, but anyway here goes:

I have a web application that uses slide.  This webapp has a
load-on-startup servlet that depends on slide being up and running.
Sometimes it works but sometimes it fails at the point where it tries
to contact slide.

This is not proof, but it seems to suggest a strong possibility that
tomcat (5.0x) is starting up webapps in an arbitrary order. Is there a
way to force tomcat to load slide first?