OK, that sounds great.

I have another, related question though (I just checked out [1], and found
the servlet and JsonItemWriter, checking..);

If Sling support writing server-side scripts in Rhino, couldn't I just as
well write a serve-side javascript which access internal Sling APIs, build
the structure, and outputs the correct format?

This is actually in my next-to-check-out list, but I just thought i'd ask it
now anyway.

Cheers,
PS