Hi,

Bertrand Delacretaz schrieb:
> Hi Felix,
>
> I agree with your proposals, with one slight concern:
>
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...#2 each dependency version must be to the lowest possible number
>> This ensures that Import-Package version numbers will not increase
>> needlessly. Dependency version numbers should primarily be based on
>> API-functionality....
>
> Ok
>
>> ...Any higher version required due to bug-fixes in the
>> implementation is not an issue for a module to care about....
>
> In such a case, how and where do we express which actual version is required?
>
> If module A depends on V1.1 of library X at the API level, but V1.1 is
> buggy and we know that you really need 1.1.4 for things to work, where
> do people find out about that?
>
> "In the integration tests module" might be a valid answer, but I'd
> like to have your opinion on this.

Well, the black-and-white answer would really be "in the final packaging
build", be it launchpad/app, launchpad/webapp or even the actualy
deployment.

There may be some shades of gray, though: If the 1.1 versions is really
that buggy, the bundle itself may of course request version 1.1.4, esp.
if the operation of the bundle cannot be guaranteed with any version
prior to 1.1.4.

On the other hand: If the bundle would be fully and completely
operational with 1.1 (even though it contains some bugs in some areas),
the bundle should still just depend on 1.1.