Hi all,

Prompted by Shane Johnson's comments on the naming conventions for
servlets in the repository [1], I come to think, that there might be
another solution or way to look at it.

Currently a script must basically be named according to the following
convention:

   [ selector "." ] method |
   [ selector "." ] extension | // GET only
   selector                     // GET html only

All matches are done case-sensitive. This works find with general
scripts, which may have as many dots in the file name as we like. For
Servlets (stored in the repository) it is more problematic, since class
files must be named after ther class name and class names are not
allowed to have dots in it.

To workaround this, I could imagine, that we extend the convention for
script file names:

   [ selector "." ] method |
   Selector method |
   [ selector "." ] extension | // GET only
   Selector Extension |         // GET only
   selector |                   // GET html only
   Selector                     // GET html only

(uppercase signifies camelcased name).

So the request "GET /some/path.print.html" could be handled by any of
the following scripts

   path.GET.jsp
   GET.jsp
   PathGET.java
   path.html.esp
   html.esp
   PathHtml.vlt
   path.gsp
   Path.groovy

This would of course extend the list of checks to apply for finding
scripts, but would certainly gelp Java developers.

The drawback of this is, that the request "GET /path.PrintA4.html" might
be handled by the same script as "GET /path.Print.A4.html". But this may
be a hypothetical collision and problem.

WDYT ?

[1] http://blogs.citytechinc.com/sjohnson/?p=47