Hi Mike,

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Mike Müller <mike...@mysign.ch> wrote:
> ...If I get you right, that means, that you do not compile in Eclipse.
> So you do not get errros and warnings in Eclipse. Does that mean
> you use Eclipse only as editor, or do I get things wrong?...

Correct, I compile with maven at the command-line, so I do not get
hyperlinks from compiling errors to the corresponding java code.

But you still get all the pre-compilation warnings in Eclipse,
combined with coding assistance (method parameters etc), so I don't
get that many compiling errors. And requiring a round-trip of a few
seconds to compile and get the results means that I'm a bit more
careful when writing code, which (for me) tends to lead to better
code.

I learned programming back when waiting for a compilation meant going
out for a coffee (or lunch if you still had floppy disks ;-), and
still appreciate some effort before compiling, to try and be a bit
careful...YMMV of course.

If I find an easy way to have hyperlinks from compilation errors, I
will probably activate it, but right now I prefer not having to worry
too much about my IDE. You could say that I use Eclipse as an editor /
code browser / pre-compilation analyzer / coding assistance tool /
debugger, that's a lot already, it just not include the build cycle.

> ...I do hesitate to use maven as central build tool, but would like
> to see errors and warnings in Eclipse, and Eclipse should also
> know the definitions for easy jumping in the code....

Definitions are no problem, but you sometimes need to refresh the
Eclipse view of them, if you changed things in another bundle. Errors
and warning, as I said, don't work in Eclipse with my current setup.

On the other hand, having fully reproducible builds, saved in
subversion (as poms) and 100% independent of the programmer's IDE
settings, is a requirement for me, much more important than a more
integrated build cycle.

> ...Have you Bertrand - or someone else - tried another setup where
> at least compiling to classes is done in Eclipse?...

I'm sure someone has tried...it'll be interesting to find out if they
have succeeded ;-)

-Bertrand