I have a project i was working on making modular version of slitaz. The idea
was to make one thats like my archiso-live images. Link below for source:

https://bitbucket.org/godane/modular-slitaz



On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Rexter Devaras <[email protected]> wrote:

> I think the best boot time is a minimal initramfs with minimal rootfs.xz
> not copied to the ram and using aufs as rootfs.xz as ro layer. rootfs.xz
> minimal just enough to get X working and once booted you can merge
> layers...mount -o remount,add:/mounted/file.sqf (squashfs file with
> compressor gz,lzma or xz whichever is possible). That way we can mount any
> squashfs file over the network and merge/layer to our current root
> filesystem.
>
>
> 2010/12/30 Philippe Lelédy <[email protected]>
>
> It's time to draw the bottom-line.
>>
>> I built my SliTaz as flavor, under my own built Slitaz flavor, with, I
>> think, last tools and packages. Important point: it has squasfs+xz.
>>
>> My system unpacked is about 422M.
>>
>> Iso sizes are:
>>
>> ram-xz: 93.0M , ram-gz: 176.0M, loram-ram-sqfs.xz : 146.0M,
>> loram-smallcdrom-sqfs.xz: 146.0M.
>>
>> Boot times on 2 computers: Dell Intel Core Duo with 512M RAM and Mac Mini
>> Intel Core Duo with 2G RAM
>>
>> ram: roofs.gz *is* the initramfs, so it is loaded in RAM by the bootloader
>> and unpacked by Linux kernel. No SliTaz specific stuff is involved in this
>> process.
>>
>> ram-xz: Dell: not enough RAM, Mac: too much RAM makes kernel crash while
>> unpacking roofs.gz
>>
>> ram-gz: Dell: not enough RAM, Mac: 1min 30s the boot loader is very slow
>> at loading big initramfs
>>
>> loram-ram: (roofs.gz is *part* of initramfs, so it is loaded in RAM by the
>> bootloader, but it remains unpacked, and is used as aufs ro base layer)
>>
>> Dell: 28s, Mac: 1min 25s same remark
>>
>> loram-smallcdrom-ram:( roofs.gz is copied in RAM by init at initramfs
>> time)
>>
>> Dell: 25s, Mac: 30s
>>
>> loram-smallcdrom-cdrom ( i.e. roofs.gz not copied in RAM )
>>
>> Dell: 23s, Mac 27s
>>
>> I will standardize on loram-smallcdrom-ram and will hope there will be
>> enough RAM on any computer it will be used. That's because if SliTaz has
>> nice provisions for making the choice between loram-smallcdrom-ram and
>> loram-smallcdrom-cdrom after RAM available at boot time, the tests I made
>> showed some cases where it doesn't work very well, and I have no more time
>> to investigate this issue,... my students are coming soon.
>>
>> Ph.L.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ---
>> SliTaz GNU/Linux Mailing list - http://www.slitaz.org/
>>
>>
>

Reply via email to