I still don't like the idea of multiarch just cause its going to be not
easy to make my slitaz-tank isos anymore. So i will not be able support
other anyways since slitaz-tank was meant for x86 only so we only have to
have 1 type of arch. Its why i used slitaz in first place. It was simple.
With multiarch it can't be done so simply. I know this cause i did try
looking at making a source dvd like slitaz-tank on archlinux back in 2010.

So arm and x86_64 will have not support in my slitaz-tank. X86_64 can be
done by simply making a linux-pae since that will allow up to 64gb of ram
installed of 4gb. Thats the main reason to move to x86_64 anyways and no
computer being sold today has 64gb or more in them by default.

I just thought you should know slitaz-tank will just have to be a
subproject and nothing offical cause of no multiarch support.

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 7:52 PM, Christophe Lincoln <[email protected]>wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> First, we have now 2 cross environment up and running on Tank with
> both toolchain build and rebuildable with the new 'cross' tool. The ARM
> port is now quiet well tested by me and x86_64 is getting better day
> after day. But we still in a testing stage, path may changes, cross
> will be improved and fixed, so no stress about packages but we must
> think about it.
>
> http://cook.slitaz.org/cross/
>
> In all case we have to change tazpkg/spk to install the correct
> packages for the given arch. To know on witch platform SliTaz is
> running I have introduced SLITAZ_ARCH in /etc/slitaz/slitaz.conf, the
> package manager must used it.
>
> "Actually, the whole multi arch system is complicated, non-kiss and
> looks awful."
>
> Usual complain without any patch attached :-/ This is how I worked thes
> last weeks and how I work to have multiarch chroot and cookers:
>
> One chroot by arch --> dont mess-up files, safer
> /home/slitaz/VERSION/ARCH/chroot with the usual tree. I have adapted
> tazdev for multiarch (use last on from repo), to create an ARM chroot
> and chroot:
>
> # tazdev gen-chroot --arch=arm
> # tazdev -c --arch=arm
>
> Then clone cookutils repo and install-cross from inside or outside the
> chroot, but use last cross. Edit config or at least check variables,
> when ready with cross and it cross.conf file installed you can compile
> the all toolchain at once (take more than an hour on tank):
>
> # cross compile
>
> Cross will compile a toolchain targeting the ARM paltform, these tools
> will never run on ARM but on the build machine to produce code for
> the target arch. It's why I dont use --build= in cross, so it build
> binaries optimised for the build host (ie: i686 for tank). After hours
> and hours of testing I came the the conclusion that use a single script
> like cook is much more easier than make cross-arch-* packages, at least
> for now since cross-compiling is NOT simple by itself.
>
> For more info please read 'cross' documentation in cookutils source or:
> http://hg.slitaz.org/cookutils/raw-file/tip/doc/cross.txt
>
> I think it would be nice to use --with-sysroot= for cross-tools, ther
> is an option in 'cross' but more work and testing is needed.
>
> If you have code providing an other WORKING solution, please share. If
> you have patches for cross, please sent them or add them in a patch
> directory in cookutils.
>
> > will have do like subfolders like any and then $ARCH folder. The idea
> > is to use softlinks from any folder and put then in $ARCH. So
> > packages folder will be more like this:
> > packages/$ARCH
> > packages/any
>
> Yes this look nice but I think we can do without any symlink. We need
> the package manager use any/packages.list for all arch then use
> SLITAZ_ARCH to set: packages/$ARCH
>
> > This way we don't need a cookutils-2.0.tazpkg and
> > cookutils-2.0-arm.tazpkg since cookutils should work just fine as one
> > package on both systems. This will also be helpful for perl, python,
> > and docs packages.
> >
> > This is cause a idea for now. We will have to see if it can be done
> > without breaking everything.
>
> Nice idea! Why not implement that in spk/tazpkg yourself ?
>
> > PS We need to add a way to rebuild packages database without wok. I
> > have this in my-cookutils. This is just to make it simple to make
> > package database.
>
> Ok, can you add an updated patch in cookutils/patch so I can test it
> with the current cook, I'm not agains changes in cook but want to
> review any patch and get them in one by one. This because cook is up
> for one year now without critical bugs and it just work.
>
> - Christophe
>
> --
> SliTaz GNU/Linux Mailing list - http://www.slitaz.org/
>
>

Reply via email to