Hi, SliTaz developers! These days, bad for almost whole SliTaz network, I close to solving pretty old problem. But I can't finish and say, "yes, I'm right" or "no, I'm wrong". Seems like hg.slitaz.org is ReadOnly now, and I can't push my commit. Even, if Hg works, seems like Cooker (cook.slitaz.org) is completely dead, and not only web interface not working.
Deep in problem. In SliTaz 3.0 this problem not exists, and it introduced in 4.0 and still in Rolling. I can't type my native Cyrillic letters both in pure console and in any sort of terminals (really tested xterm and sakura). I see only question marks (?) instead of typing characters. Seems like I can't type Unicode characters at all? No. Some of them I can, for example: śûũşī. What a strange problem! Today I think, why busybox's printf not worked with Unicode, and simple example not works: busybox printf '%6s\n' "śśśś" I want to see two spaces and four unicode letters (right aligned 4 symbols text in 6 symbols wide field). But this printf counts bytes, not characters. And I address to busybox's config in my local cooking wok: $wok/busybox/stuff/busybox-1.21.config . . . # General Configuration . . . CONFIG_LOCALE_SUPPORT=y CONFIG_UNICODE_SUPPORT=y # CONFIG_UNICODE_USING_LOCALE is not set # CONFIG_FEATURE_CHECK_UNICODE_IN_ENV is not set CONFIG_SUBST_WCHAR=63 CONFIG_LAST_SUPPORTED_WCHAR=767 # CONFIG_UNICODE_COMBINING_WCHARS is not set # CONFIG_UNICODE_WIDE_WCHARS is not set # CONFIG_UNICODE_BIDI_SUPPORT is not set # CONFIG_UNICODE_NEUTRAL_TABLE is not set # CONFIG_UNICODE_PRESERVE_BROKEN is not set . . . Little surprising, but numbers are decimal. And 63=0x3F (question mark), and 767=0x2FF. Fast googling gives me this page: http://jrgraphix.net/research/unicode_blocks.php So, all the Unicode symbols in the range 0x0 .. 0x2FF Busybox can correctly display while input. And all other - no. What I need? To use Cyrillic I need range 0x400 .. 0x4FF, and, maybe, 0x500 .. 0x52F. All Latin-based and Greek letters are lower than these ranges. But, what about these ranges? 1E00 - 1EFF Latin Extended Additional 1F00 - 1FFF Greek Extended 2000 - 206F General Punctuation and some other? Do we need them? Question for a PRO. Is it will a big overhead in Busibox if we will define CONFIG_LAST_SUPPORTED_WCHAR=11263 (this mean range 0x0 .. 0x2BFF) or, 196608=0x30000 to use whole Unicode? Do Busybox will generate huge table or so? If it is a question of size, I suggest to stick to 1279=0x4FF But I warn you that you can't type smart quotes http://jrgraphix.net/r/Unicode/2000-206F Who can try to compile new busybox with this little patch? BTW, cook's behavior is really annoing when it takes harmless messages like "ERRORS: 0" as real ERRORs. And too many false positives in the Busybox's output. Pascal Bellard pushed too many commits "remove wrong error handler" to make text "ERROR" as "error" or just to filter it out... --- I'm not a specialist on busybox, but seems that other solution is to set CONFIG_UNICODE_USING_LOCALE=y to use glibc instead of built-in busybox's functions. Do we have all needed in the Base flavor? Or in the JustX? Or haven't? Thank you all for attention! I am interested to know your opinion on this issue! -- SliTaz GNU/Linux Mailing list - http://www.slitaz.org/

