This is an article form Wed March 23 1994 edition of
The Daily News, here in Halifax.
Written by Maril Smulders; food and recipes column

Sloan Mom Murphy Wins Gabereau cooking prize

    Patrica Murhy was really hoping CBC radio host Vicki Gabereau
would play one of her son's songs - entering the recipe contest
was just a sideline to her request.

    Instead, Murphy - mom to Chris Murphy of the Halifax grunge
band SLOAN - won one of the top prizes in Gabereau's Family Favorite
Recipe Contest.

    As for the music, well, folks at the atfernoon radio show decided
it wasn't their style [ASR;their loss!].

    Murphy gets a beautiful pottery bowl made by a B.C. artist for
submitting her recipe, Thai Fish Soup, winner for the appetizer
category.

    More than 1,000 recipes were entered in the popular contest.
    "People who try it out for the first time might find it pretty
spicy, but we like at our place," says Murphy of the recipe she got
from her sister in Toronto.

    "Both my kids are vegetarian, so I'm always trying out different
things."

    Other winners include...........

                [the rest is boring and non-Sloan]

-------------Cut-here-if-you-don't-want-the-recipe----------------

Patrica Murphy's Thai Fish Soup......

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 leek cut into juienne strips
3 minced garlic cloves
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger root
1/4 tsp red hot pepper flake
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1 red pepper cut into strips
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup pureed plum tomatoes and juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp lemon juice
3 cups water
1/2 lb scallops
1 lb white fish fillets (halibut)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilatro (coriander)
2 tsp each of chopped basil, mint, chives

Heat oil in a large sauce pan, add leeks, garlic,
ginger,and pepper flakes, and cook a few minutes
but do not brown. Add curry and cook about 30-60 seconds

Add lemon peel, red pepper, coconut milk, tomatoes and bring
to boil. Add soy sauce, lemon juice and water [and maybe fish,
scallops, shrimp since it doesn't tell you when????] bring back
to a boil and then simmer gently for about 5 mins or until fish
is just cooked. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.

Mix Cilantro, basil, mint and chives together, then place equal
amounts of the herbs in each individual bowl. Pour soup over herbs
and serve immediatly. Makes 6 to 8 serving.

                More dieting a la grunge?????
                Later........
                                Adam

Adam Rodenhiser   "There are a million things to eat that are not cheese!"
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      Hole singer Courtney Love on dieting a la Grunge
"...or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon:
see if I don't!"--> Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz (HHG Douglas N. Adams)
"Took a bite out of your brick wall, to taste it's bitter concrete truth.."
 Sloan, Eric's Trip, Thrush Hermit, Union Jack Squat, etc fan of 'em all