did anyone notice the herald's mention of
the "nova scotia-based acts" going to musicwest
in vancouver may 13-15?  did anyone notice that
along with hardship post and thrush hermit they
mentioned _bite_?   well, julie, even the herald
agrees i guess -- you should move the band here!

thurs apr 14 '94  U.K. GOES TO JALE

        Halifax rock band jale has seen its single
        _Cut_ be acclaimed by the New Musical Express
        in England as a champion.

        The London-based pop music newspaper regularly
        reviews singles andpicks one as the single of
        the week.

        "Hailing from Halifax on Canada's eastern
         seaboard, jale sound like debbie harry fronting
         stereolab in the nicest possible way," says the
         rag in its March 12 edition.

        The NME, with its competitor Melody Maker, is
        widely consulted by trend-spotters for its take
        on current music.

        jale's debut Sub Pop album should be available
        in mid-July.

fri apr 15 '94  CLARK PULLS OUT OF CAPITOL VENTURE

        One of the principals behind the proposal to
        re-open the Misty Moon nightclub space has
        withdrawn from the project.

        Greg Clark said Thursday that he has backed
        out of the frustrating process of starting up
        the Capitol Music Hall but Rob Cohn will
        continue to work toward opening the live
        entertainment venue.

        Clark has instead decided to dedicate himself
        to bettering the Double Deuce, base of Halifax's
        alternative music scene.

        "I'm sticking with the Deuce," Clark said.  "I
         may help (Cohn) book.  I wish him well."

        Cohn said Thursday night he was surprised and
        disappointed to have Clark leave the project.

        "It's been getting more and more difficult,
         especially the last couple of weeks, timewise,"
        Cohn said from his Halifax home.  "I think Greg
        realized this and the time was a factor...I was
        surprised and it means it'll put more of a burden
        on me and my time, but I'll be talking with Greg
        on a regular basis, especially about bookings.

        "I'm disappointed he pulled out."

        Cohn said Clark's departure will set the club's
        opening date back a few weeks.  He said he'll have
        more firm information early next week about an
        opening date.

        The Double Deuce, a small bar on Hollis Street, has
        garnered international attention for its showcasing
        of local, national, and international alternative
        rock bands.

        Cohn has been part of the music industry in various
        capacities for years and founded the East Coast
        Music Awards.

        "I'm just going to stay with what I've got and make
         it better...It was not an easy decision," Clark said.

        The pair's plans became public in early March and the
        reopening of the large space has been anticipated by
        music followers, musicians, and people who want to work
        at the large Barrington Street rock club.  The Misty
        Moon closed in December after going bankrupt and
        claiming a debt of about $1.2 million.

        Though the concept of having no one set musical style
        -- something Clark worked with during his tenure at the
        old Pub Flamingo -- was widely spoken about for the new
        club, Clark said the success he's had the last couple
        of years mostly in the alternative scene may have led
        some people to mistakenly conclude that the Capitol was
        going to be the world's biggest alternative rock bar.

        Clark is starting to think about a second Pop Explosion
        festival after last fall's successful inaugural and said
        he can foresee using the Capitol as a venue if it's
        available.

James R. Covey        I've seen "Fever" and I've seen "Rain".
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   I've seen "Justify My Love" that I thought would never end
Department of English I've seen "Live To Tell" when I could not find a friend
Dalhousie University  But I always thought I'd see Madonna again.
Halifax, NS  B3H 3H5                                             - Rob Sheffield