chris murphy's "a band by any other name" halifax music scene family tree

                          URBAN
               SURVIVORS  ATTACK                     STEPS AROUND
SUBURBAN              |    |  |                       THE HOUSE
REBELS              REALISTS  |                           |               TRASH
  |                   |       |    MEDIA              VULGARIANS  VACANT  KANZ
CLUB   THE   SPENT  SHAG  DOGFOOD  BLITZ  DUFF HICKS      |        LOT      |
MED   FLIES      |                   |        |       OCTOBER      |   NOBODY'S
|        |       | DELUXE  KILLER  KARMA   STAJATANZ   GAME   TOPSIDERS  HEROES
|     BLACKPOOL  |  BOYS   KLAMZ   WOLVES   |    |      |     |       |
|            |   |   |       |             AGRO  FLAGS FOR  RIDGE OF  TEDD
| REGISTERED |   KEARNEY    100                  EVERYTHING   TEARS
|   VOTE     |   LAKE RD   FLOWERS                 |     |    |   |  EUTHENICS
|   |        |   |  | |       |    SUSPECT DEVICE  |  BUBAISKULL  |  |
|   |  BLACKPOOL II | |       |    |            |  |          | MISERY  SYSTEM
|   |          |  | | 100 FLOWERS II  SEBAS-    COOL          | GOATS  OVERLOAD
|   LONE STARS |  | |                 TOPOL     BLUE  THRUSH  |           |
|            | |  | | CONVULSIONS       |       HALO  HERMIT  |         FALSE
| BLUEGRASS  BLACK| |      |       ALL GOOD        |  |       |        SECURITY
| LAWNMOWER  POOL | | HAPPY CO.    CHILDREN  THRUSH HERMIT II |           |
|    |       III  | | |                 |             |       | HIP      MORAL
AL TUCK &         SLOAN<-----------NO DAMN FEARS      ESSEN   | CLUB    SUPPORT
NO ACTION  RHINO                      |                       | GROOVE    |
     |     PLASTY  HOUSE OF USHER     T A G                   |   |     QUAHOGS
     |     |             |            |   |                  ONE INCH
SUPERFRIENDZ        ADINSONG       JALE   CHAZ RULES          PUNCH
                    |   |           |          |
        INFINITE LOOP  SPIKE N    SKREECH   LEONARD CONAN

I had to leave out one band -- Jellyfishbabies -- in order to fit all
the rest on the computer screen.  Chris has them located right next door
to "Registered Vote" but not connected to anyone else.  His note reads:

"Chris Murphy's my name and I'm taking credit or blame for this Halifax
 music scene family tree.  The tree itself was actually more twisted than
 this so I ended up eliminating some lines as it was getting too messy and
 hard to follow.  I didn't put every band I could think of either because I
 couldn't connect them to anyone else or I didn't like the band.  But the
 lines I did draw I think are true.  I was relying on others near the top
 in the 'before my time' section.  Sue me if I'm wrong."

He also writes a list of "Honourable Mentions":  Null Set, Redd Leader,
The Nerve, Next X, The Quirk, Cooter Family, Roland Blinn, Basic English,
Phycus, Aimless, Donner Party Reunion, Merge, Tetris

That's 68 bands on Chris Murphy's chart and I can
claim to have seen 17 of them live (=25%).  There
must be some longtime scenesters on this list who
have seen many more than that.  Anyone?

james