--- Begin Message ---
Oh, that's enough.  Listen, if you write about Chapel Hill music, Chapel
Hill in general, are a local cartoonist or creative type, publish a local
interest 'zine--basically, if you are creative in some way related to
Chapel Hill--then I would like to publish your work over the Internet.
A set of World Wide Web Mosaic pages (that'll be explained below) is
being created about Chapel Hill, and we need material.

Any medium is welcome in this project.  Visual art is more difficult to
put up, although we do have access to a scanner.  Music (yes, music) is
possible, but will take a bit more effort--write to me special about that.
However, that omnipotent and omnipresent medium, the printed word, is what
we hope to concentrate on...

Already, some people have put up components of this project.  If you have
access to a WWW browser like Mosaic (again, if you have no clue what this
means, read on), check out the following URLs:

http://ruby.ils.unc.edu/freenet/tfnet2.html
http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/electronic-publications/stay-free/home.htm

I want to expand coverage of Chapel Hill to include local cartoonists,
other local 'zines and writers, and hopefully, a Chapel Hill music page,
complete with photographs and recordings.  The music page will be run
through the ubiquitous Internet Underground Music Archive... which I have
info. on but am still unsure how to distribute. But we can get together
the artwork and writing right here.  So if you would like to give the
world a taste of your take on Chapel Hill, please send me a note so that
we can start getting organized.

But please do consider sumbitting stuff--this could be one of the first
city-wide multi-media exhibitions on the Internet, and it would be great
for those who may want to someday hock their wares to a larger market (ie
bands with singles, a Mickey Death comic book, a 'zine or litterery
journal), since it would give a kind of introduction to the town.  Thanks.

---What are the World Wide Web and Mosaic, and how the hell can someone
---in Great Britain see my drawings?

Okay, a really quick non-technical (and probably incorrect) rundown.  The
World Wide Web is that part of the Internet that gets so much media
attention--it is to sounds and images what e-mail and Usenet are to
text.  In other words, a way of distributing or posting anything from
text to photgraphs to moving pictures to audio.  By putting up
information on a World Wide Web site, anyone who has the right setup can
get access to it.  The "setup" is basically a machine directly connected
to the Internet and a software package called a "browser".  A "browser",
the most popular of which is called Mosaic, is given a location to look in,
and it goes there, and sorts out the different kinds of information --
turning the raw data into pictures and noises that appear on your
screen.  This means that if you want a cartoon to be accessible to anyone
on the internet, you would just store it in a certain place and tell the
world what that place was.  The world would then look at it by pointing
their browser at the place you said.

The most powerful thing these browsers can do, however, is link together
locations--so, for example, if one person has a cartoon collection at
Yale, another is at Penn State, and a third is in Geneva, Switzerland,
then I as a cartoon collector can create a location that says to the
browser, "Give this menu to anyone who comes to this location: 1) Penn
State, 2) Yale, 3) Geneva; and if they use their mouse to select one of
these three, then go to that new location and show what is there."

Right.  So, to get back to Chapel Hill--what we would create is a central
location for people with these browsers to come to.  Then we would say,
"If you want to see our music, go look at the Internet Underground music
Archive, by clicking your mouse button here.  If you want to see Stay
Free!, click your mouse here..." and so on.  Anyway, this would make it
possible for us to have a sort of virtual gallery of Chapel Hill's
creativities.

--End of non-technical gloss--

--- End Message ---