*note: I = interview

hey there :)

ok, since no one has mentioned it, i feel obliged to mention it [me, as the
patrick pentland fanclub ;) ].. in this month's _chart_ mag, there's an
interview with white zombie, conducted by the one and only patty pentland!

it's a pretty neat interview, actually.  patrick is a white zombie fan [ duh!
;)] and talks to the member J.  a few bits and pieces...

"     ..<latest album with mega-long title> is state-of-the-art.  Not to
mention good'n'heavy.  (Hey, it's no weirder than Sloan guitarist Jay
Ferguson *jamming* [sober] in a living room with Age of Elecric at a recent
MCA conference.)"

"     I have been told that the White Zombie guitarist is a fan of Sloan,
oddly enough, so I figure that will be a good starting point.  But the first
thing he says is: 'Cool.  Man, you sing on that song on _Smeared_ that I
love, 'I Am the Cancer'.'  Well, Chris sings that song, not me.  I debate
telling him this or just taking the complement.  I *could* sing it; I do
sometimes at home, but I don't think I even play guitar on the recorded
version.  I think I play bass, and that may have been replaced too, for all I
can remember.  I tell him that I don't sing it.  He says: 'Whatever, it's
still a cool song.' "

"     Sloan, not being from Hell but from Halifax, has always been slightly
untouchable as well.  Coming from the East Coast of Canada and a music scene
that is hyped by media-made mythology, we can still go home and hide
comfortably behind the image of the 'Halifax scene' that seems to be so
distorted in people's minds.

"     In our band we have a little saying:  Good Guy-Bad Band (GGBB for
short).  It is a sort of code you use at parties and gigs when one of you is
talking to someone who is in another band.  When the person isn't looking,
your bandmate will lean over and say: "GGBB", so you know the deal.  There is
also Bad Guy-Good Band.  You usually run into a BGBB, but rarely a GGGB.  I
think most of my own bandmates would label J. a GGBB, but I'll stand on my
own (again) and give him a GGGB."

there's a really nifty pic that goes with the interview too :)

                                ...sizzle teen

p.s.  those of you who go to u of waterloo or who live in k/w... where on
earth (literally!!) is the Bauer Warehouse??  all i've heard is 'north
campus'.. huh?!

"Everybody knows that she's goin' nowhere
 Everybody always tells her how much they care
 When all they really care about is cutting their hair
 And letting it grow"  -- Sloan "500 Up"   <-- a song that Patrick *does*
sing