     *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Date: 10/25/95
*******************
MORNING LINE FOCUS REPORT: It's Small Business Week In Canada. For a
variety of reasons -- including obviously necessity -- more and more young
people are creating their own businesses. Tonight, for example, marks the
launch of Halifax's newest magazine, an online collaboration of
twentysomething journalists and designers. We check them out . . . and we
offer some mini-profiles of other young people who created their own jobs.
*******************
WHO'S A SLACKER?
by Katie Bowden
RECORD OF SUCCESS:  Colin MacKenzie is a key player in Halifax's thriving
music scene. A partner in MURDERECORDS and Cinnamon Toast Records,
MacKenzie says he's "spreading the gospel of the Halifax indie music
scene."

After a stint as music director at CKDU radio, he and two friends
co-founded Cinnamon Toast Records. Shortly afterwards, MacKenzie was asked
to manage the Halifax band, Jale.

Meanwhile, another Halifax band, Sloan, needed help. In 1992, they started
their own record company, Murderecords. After a year of operation, band
members found that they couldn't manage a touring schedule as well as the
business, and turned to MacKenzie for help.

Two years later, MacKenzie, now 31, is juggling the position of Managing
Director with Sloan's company, and partnerships in both his own Cinnamon
Toast Records and Murderecords. He says he's loving it.

Since the music industry is dominated by young people, MacKenzie says he
hasn't encountered many difficulties due to his age. He admits that in the
beginning, they got a lot of help from more experienced people in the music
industry. "When we first started we were a little naive, and I felt that we
were being babysat by a few people at MCA, which was really nice of them,"
he says.

Having a small record company means the artists have more input on how
they're managed, MacKenzie says. "We're more artist-friendly than the big
companies," he says. "We aren't in this to make as much money off the
artists in the short run as we can -- it's more of a long term investment
we're developing."

           subscribe morning-line (your first name) (your last name)
If you have any comments or suggestions, please send them to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
"People say you have to travel in order to see the world.
Well I think if you stay in one place long enough,