hey

too bad campbell didn't reply to jon's (i can't add but i can spell) fax
with a little less condescension. i get the feeling he figures jon is
just one of the kiddies who knows nothing about how the media works.
knowing jon personally, it's safe to say campbell assumes wrong. :)
while jon *may* have been harsh in some eyes, calling his points "loopy"
right off the bat sadly serves to show campbell is more about ego than
integrity. our loss in the long run.

hopefully people like jon and melissa and hub who constantly post on
sloan net to inform the rest of us what is going on in their section of
the atlantic provinces will keep at it and try to inform campbell in
advance and just give him an indication of what you're all doing to keep
the music scene happening there. that way, perhaps the next time he takes
his "rv" :) out there, he'll have some clues. proactive, you know?
besides, muchwest never visits anywhere but vancouver and the mountains.
meanwhile, kids in winnipeg are creating *amazing* music (r.i.p. banned
from atlantis). (someone suggested a muchwheat for the prairies :)  )

he writes to jon:
> the reality of the situation is that as much talent as
> there is in the region there isn't THAT much that is ready yet.

but then he goes on to say:
> i wouldn't for an instant assume that only things i like are worth
>liking.

so he isn't one to judge but he is. ok...recalling mike catano's post
about an overheard conversation with campbell and the kids who work with
space needle, i guess it's safe to say campbell is a bit :) of a
dork/schmooze. quel surprise, he works for much. maybe it would help if
people faxed/mailed him about features they did enjoy and suggest other
bands that might work using that particular angle. i think this sounds
cheesy and sort of like sucking up, but perhaps we have to come down to his
level and work *with* him for a while until they get someone new or he clues
in or we all decide to go outside and play instead of watching tv.

oh and he also wrote to jon:
> concerns.  if you want to contribute to the rehabilitation of the
> hurtin' "crapeast" i suggest you round up some of this "amazing
> talent" teach them how to use stamps, or a phone or fax machine and
> enlighten me!

again, condescending, but he sort of raises a good point. you can't just
put out a tape, 7'', or cd and expect the world to come knocking. nobody
really cares, sad to say, even if it is amazing music. send the man some
reviews and charts of the release along with the bio to show him that
people outside of the atlantic provinces are taking notice. send him a
sample of the music, obviously. mark from state champs was trying to get
reviews and charts collected for their bio and i don't know if he even
wants to have mucheast cover them but i'm sure campbell would be more
inclined to do so knowing they've played in the states, charted outside
of nova scotia, and have gotten press in at least five respected music
publications than if mark just handed him a tape and bio.
(i'm *not* criticizing mark at all, it's just an example i knew off hand).

in other words, spoon feed mr. campbell.

tara

ps/ mathrock sidenote: hey everyone! i got 49.5 per cent in math 30 and
*still* got into university!!!!!! hahahaha! :)
--
"Johnnie Cox also caused problems for scores of
professional music video makers."   - The Coast

CJSW 90.9 fm --> http://www.ucalgary.ca/~cjswfm